giovedì 19 agosto 2010

Getting married in Italy - Requirements for Canadian Citizens

Requirements for Canadian Citzens

Italian law requires EACH non-Italian wishing to be married in Italy to present a "Nulla Osta" (Certificate of non-Impediment) or equivalent documentation.
The Canadian Government does not issue "Nulla Osta". However, to assist Canadians to meet the Italian requirements, the Canadian Embassy in Rome issues a declaration containing the relevant information.
Requests for the declaration can be made by appointment or by mail.
Obtaining a Declaration (Nulla Osta) from the Embassy in Rome
You must first complete and swear an AFFIDAVIT to the effect that there is no impediment to the proposed marriage. You may swear the affidavit in Canada, or at the Canadian Embassy in Rome upon appointment.

Come to the Embassy at your scheduled appointment time with the following documents:
• Unsigned affidavit;
• Valid Canadian passport;
• Proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship). (If you were born in Québec: Only birth certificates issued on or after January 1, 1994, by "Le Directeur de l'état civil" in the province of Québec are accepted);
• Complete details of the future spouse (full name, date and place of birth, residence, father's name and mother's full maiden name);
• Final divorce decree or death certificate of previous spouse (if divorced or widowed);
• Parents' consent (if the person is under marriageable age).
• Appropriate fees.

Please note: If you and your fiancé(e) are both Canadian, you will each need to swear an AFFIDAVIT and obtain separate declarations.

Swearing the Affidavit in Canada or Another Country
The Affidavit can also be sworn in front of a notary public in Canada or a consular official at Canadian Embassies or Consulates in other countries. In this case it is not necessary to come in person to the Embassy in Rome. The original Affidavit and certified true copies of the above-mentioned documents can be sent to the Embassy in Rome.

What to Do After Obtaining the Declaration
1. Present the declaration to the competent "Prefettura - Ufficio Legalizzazioni" (provincial authority) to be formally authenticated.
2. After it has been authenticated, you must present it to the Marriage Office of the Municipality in Italy. Banns are waived if neither party is Italian nor residing in Italy.
3. The Municipal authorities will request the couple to return (usually in 2 or 3 days) with 2 witnesses PLUS an interpreter (we can do that) (if one or both parties do not know Italian) to execute a declaration before the "Ufficiale dello Stato Civile" (Registrar of Vital Statistics) of the Municipality. Arrangements are then concluded and a date is fixed for the civil marriage ceremony. Two witnesses PLUS an interpreter (if necessary) must be present at the civil marriage ceremony.

Although the Italian authorities usually extend every assistance to foreigners wishing to marry in Italy, a date for a civil marriage ceremony is generally NOT fixed unless the above- mentioned declaration (see point 3) has first been executed by the couple.

The waiting period (from the date the required documents are presented to the marriage office to the date of the civil marriage ceremony) may vary depending on the period of the year and on the number of requests received by the municipality.

Some municipalities levy marriage fees for non-residents.

Please note: Until recently, a woman whose previous marriage was terminated within the last 300 days had to obtain a waiver from the competent "Procura della Repubblica" (Court) in Italy in order to marry in Italy. Depending on the locality, this law may no longer apply.

In the case of a religious marriage ceremony to be performed at a Roman-Catholic Church, you must present the declaration issued by the Embassy, duly legalized by the competent Prefettura, to the Parish Priest in Italy, in addition to all documents required by the Church. The Parish Priest will arrange for the registration of the religious marriage with the competent Italian Vital Statistics authorities. The marriage must be so registered in order to have civil value in Italy.

Non Roman-Catholic
To our knowledge, marriages performed at non-Roman Catholic houses of worship require a civil ceremony as well. It is suggested that you contact the religious leader as early as possible to obtain appropriate information.

Surce: Embassy of Canada, Consular Section
Via Zara 30 00198 Rome
Tel.: (+39) 06-85444.2911 (recorded information only)
Fax: (+39) 06-85444.2912

Getting married in Italy - Requirements for Australian Citizens

Requirements for Australian Citizens

Certaldo Town Hall
Australian government representatives cannot perform marriage ceremonies and you cannot get married at an Australian Embassy or Consulate.

• Before leaving Australia, we strongly recommend that you obtain an Atto Notorio (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the state in which you reside.
• Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of your previous marriage.

Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse. If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse.
Please note that all certificates including divorce certificates or death certificates certifying termination of your previous marriage MUST be ORIGINALS. Photcopies are not accepted.

• In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Sworn Declaration (Nulla Osta). This Sworn Declaration must be signed, whether you are single, divorced or widowed, in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome,  (or Australian Consulate-General in Milan. An appointment is not required to obtain the Nulla Osta.

A Nulla Osta literally states that "there are no impediments," or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Sworn Declaration) is valid for six months.

• The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura. 
 If you plan to marry at a Roman Catholic Church in the Vatican, you do not need this legalisation.

• If you are unable to obtain an "Atto di notorietà per uso matrimonio" (also known as Atto Notorio) from an Italian Consulate in Australia, you may obtain one from the Tribunale Civile in Italy.
The Tribunale Civile requires that you make an appointment before going there for an Atto Notorio.
The person requesting the Atto Notorio must attend in person together with two adult witnesses. If either spouse or one of the witnesses does not speak Italian, it is necessary to provide an interpreter, in addition to the two witnesses.

N.B. Neither spouse can act as witness or interpreter.
• The first step is to bring the Atto Notorio and Nulla Osta to the Ufficio Matrimoni, or Marriage Office, in the Italian city where you plan to marry. For information, contact us. If you do not speak Italian, someone who speaks Italian and can provide a simple translation should accompany you (we can do that). At this time, you will be given an appointment to make a Promessa di Matrimonio, or Declaration of Intent to Marry, and another for the actual marriage ceremony. These appointments may fall on the same day. You will need to pay a fee for the rental of the marriage hall, which can vary considerably depending on where you are getting married. For these appointments, you must arrive with two witnesses, and for those who do not speak Italian, an interpreter as well (we can do that).
• If one or more of the parties is Italian or is an Australian with Italian residency, then Banns (pubblicazione di matrimonio) must be posted for at least two weeks before the date of the marriage.
• The Promessa di Matrimonio is followed by the Civil Ceremony. At the ceremony, apply for a marriage certificate (certificato di matrimonio), which you will receive immediately after the ceremony. Ask to have an Apostille affixed to the Italian Marriage certificate by the Italian authorities at the Prefettura of teh city where you get married, so that it may be used for all legal purposes once you return to Australia. You should keep in mind that during the peak marriage season (May to September), it may be difficult to get an appointment both for the marriage celebrant and to apply for the Apostille.

Surce: Australian Embassy, Via Antonio Bosio, 5, Rome
Telephone: 06 852 721 - Fax: 06 8527 2300

Getting married in Italy - Requirements for British Citizens

Requirements for British Citizens

Volterra Town Hall
1. Marriages are not celebrated at British Consulates in Italy.
2. Italian civil marriages, and marriages celebrated in Italy according to religious rites and subsequently transcribed into the Italian civil register, are recognised as valid under British law providing no obstacles existed, which would have prevented the marriage taking place under the law of the appropriate part of the United Kingdom.
3. For further information about civil marriages in Italy, or the registration of a religious marriage in the civil register, application should be made to the Italian authorities (Comune).
A wedding service (sacramental marriage) can be performed by a priest but only after a civil ceremony has taken place elsewhere. (The Church of England is not recognised by the Italian State and therefore a marriage ceremony which only takes place there cannot subsequently be transcribed into the Italian civil register.)
Feel free to contact us for information about Catholic and other religious marriages, approach should be made direct to the minister of religion of the denomination concerned.
4. The Italian authorities require the production of a Consular Certificate of No Impediment (Nulla Osta) before the marriage of a British citizen may be celebrated or registered.

This certificate may be obtained in one of the following ways:
(i) Where the British citizen has resided within the Consular District in which the marriage is to take place for at least 21 clear days preceding posting up of Notice of Marriage (that is not counting the day of arrival or the day of posting Notice):
Notice of Marriage is given to the Consular Officer and posted up for a period of a further 21 clear days. If no impediment is shown to exist at the end of this period, a Certificate of No Impediment is issued to the British party.

(ii) Where the British citizen resides outside the Consular District in which the marriage is to take place (but not in the UK):
Notice of Marriage is given as in (i) above to the Consular Officer of the district of residence. If no impediment is shown to exist at the end of the 21 day period of posting, the Consular Officer issues a certificate of the posting of notice for production to the Consular Officer of the district where the marriage is to take place. The latter then issues a Certificate of No Impediment to the British party.

(iii) Where the British Citizen resides in the UK:
Notice of Marriage is given to the Superintending Registrar in the district of residence in the UK (can be up to 21 days). The Registrar subsequently issues a certificate of the posting of notice (Superintendent Registrar's Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage) for production to the Consular Officer of the district where the marriage is to take place. The latter then issues a Certificate of No Impediment (Nulla Osta) to the British party. Please refer to separate "marriage letter".

(iv) Where both parties to the marriage fulfil the residence qualification as at (i) above:
Notices of Marriage are given by each party to the Consular Officer as at (i) above and if no impediment is shown to exist at the end of the 21 day period of posting, Certificates of No Impediment are issued to both parties.

(v) Where only one party to the marriage fulfils the residence qualification as at (i) above:
The party fulfilling the residence qualifications follows the procedure as at (i) above. The other party gives Notice of Marriage to the competent authority (in the United Kingdom the Superintending Registrar in the
district of residence, elsewhere a British Consular Officer). The certificate of the posting of notice subsequently issued is then presented to the Consular Officer of the district where the marriage is to take place. The latter then issues Certificates of No Impediment (Nulla Osta) to both parties.
(vi) Where neither party fulfils the residence qualification as at (i) above:
Notices of Marriage should be given to the Superintending Registrar/s in the district of residence of the parties. (See para 4 (iii) above). If you reside outside of the UK see para 4 (ii).

If the parties are not officially resident the Comune also need sworn declarations to the effect that they are free to marry. In most Comuni these declarations can now be done directly in the Town Hall. In the case of two foreigners not officially resident in Italy the Comune do not normally require a period of residency nor to publish banns, however it is advisable to plan on being in Italy for about one week before the ceremony to sort out the local legal requirements. Some Municipal Authorities in Italy charge non-residents an extra fee for marriages, so the parties should enquire about these charges at the time of booking the ceremony.

If neither party speak Italian an interpreter will need to be present at the actual marriage ceremony as well as helping with the Italian documentation.

If one or both of the parties are officially resident in Italy the Italian authorities normally require additional notice (following production of the Consular Certificate of No Impediment - Nulla Osta) to include two Sundays.

5. Where one party to the marriage is a British citizen and the other party is not Italian, the latter will be required to produce to the Italian authorities a Certificate of No Impediment issued by his/her own Consular authority. If the other party is IRISH and both parties live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, the British citizen has to refer to the Rome Consulate. If a British citizen lives in a Commonwealth country please ask us about these procedures.

6. Documents required for posting Notice of Marriage in person by appointment with a British Consular Officer or for issuing a Consular Certificate of No Impediment (Nulla Osta) – photocopies are not acceptable,( except for passports, if outside Italy):
British citizens:
(a) British passport
(b) Original birth certificate - or adoption certificate - that includes the names of both parents; the short version is not acceptable
(c) Consent of parents or guardian if either party is under age.
(d) Documentary evidence for either party of any previous marriage/s and their termination ie original marriage and divorce certificates (decree absolute), death certificates, etc. (NB Under Italian Law women cannot remarry until 300 days have passed from the date of the "decree absolute", unless special dispensation is obtained from the Italian Courts.)
(e) Evidence of any change of name or surname.
(f) Certificato di Residenza (Certificate of Residence) in the case of British citizens officially resident in their local Italian "Comune" (ie enrolled in the Anagrafe).

Italian or other citizens:
(g) Certificato di Stato Libero or Dichiarazione sostitutiva for the Italian party to a marriage or Consular No Impediment Certificate for any other nationality.
(h) Passport or Identity Document (with photograph) for the Italian, or other nationality, party to a marriage.

Please check carefully that the details on British passports, birth certificates etc are correct. If, for example, on your passport, there are discrepancies in your names (names added/left off, wrong spellings or wrong date and a place of birth which is NOT THE EXACT PLACE GIVEN IN THE LONG BIRTH CERTIFICATE, EVEN IF IT'S NEARBY etc), this might create problems with the Italian Authorities and the Consulate takes NO RESPONSIBILITY for this. Please also contact the Consulate in advance to make an appointment for posting of Notice of Marriage if you are resident in Italy in our district.

Surce: British Consulate - Lungarno Corsini 2, 50123 Florence
Tel: 055 284133 Fax: 055 219112 December 2009

Getting married in Italy - Requirements for American Citizens

Requirements for American Citizens

Getting married in Italy
There are only 3 items that are necessary for US citizens to marry in Italy.
To marry in Italy an ATTO NOTORIO is required; this is an AFFIDAVIT done before the ITALIAN CONSULATE (or in Italy).
To obtain it, you must first have certain documents.

1. US passport
2. Birth certificate
3. If previously divorced/widowed, your divorce decree or death certificate

Here are some clarifications for the most frequently asked questions:
1. ATTO NOTORIO (we can arrange for it to be done in Italy) - what it is.
It consists of a meeting in front of the Italian Consulate with witnesses in which a declaration relative to the civil status (single, divorced etc…) of the couple is made. An official document is then drawn up to present to us for filing purposes here in Italy. Please be sure that at the top of the page of the Atto Notorio the detail " Repubblica Italiana" and "Consolato Generale D'Italia" are specifically written, otherwise the Atto Notorio is not valid.

You need to set up an appointment yourselves with the nearest Italian Consulate to where you live and ask how many witnesses are required - it varies from location to location. Eventually if you choose to, the Atto Notorio CAN be done in Italy for a fee.

Your Birth and or divorce/death certificates must be translated into Italian and Apostilled through the Secretary of State's Notary Public of the state the document originated in. The translations are authenticated by the Italian Consulate. Our company does provide translation services.

2. APOSTILLE - (done via mail)
This peculiar word means that the original documents (birth and, if applicable, divorce) which need to be presented to the Italian Consulate have been:
• Sent to the Secretary of State's Notary Public of the state from which the document originally is from for authentication (or Apostille seal).
• The APOSTILLE is simply the seal of the Notary Public of the State in accordance with the Hague Convention, which means that the documents can be used officially even in a foreign country. It is NOT a regular Notary Public stamp!

When the Atto Notorio is done and the Apostille also, you must:

1. Fax us a copy in Italy so we can verify that everything is complete, at least 4 weeks prior the wedding.
2. After we give the OK, bring the originals of your documents with you when you come to Italy.
All birth and/or divorce certificates must be translated into Italian. You must have the translations authenticated by the Italian Consulate in the U.S. when you go for your Atto Notorio.
We offer translation services for an additional cost.

3. NULLA OSTA and PREFECT'S OFFICE (done with our staff/coordinator in Italy)
We assist with this, it takes at most a few hours and must be done approximately 3 weekdays prior to the wedding.
The Nulla Osta is the final declaration to be made IN ITALY before the US CONSULATE or EMBASSY stating that you are free to marry.
Then this NULLA OSTA must be authenticated in the nearest Prefect's office (we do this for you, but you must come along!).

It's really important that your full name is written in the same way in all the following documents, otherwise the wedding office will not accept the paperwork:


Here is a step-by-step explanation of what you must do:
1. Send us LEGIBLE copies of your passports, in addition to the following information for you, your future husband, your best man, and your maid of honor: full name, date and place of birth, current address (legal residence), and profession.
2. Order your birth certificates (and divorce decrees, if applicable) and request the Apostille from the state you were born in. The Apostilles can not be required earlier than 6 months before the wedding.
3. Once you have requested your birth certificates (and divorce decrees) make an appointment with the Italian Consulate for your Atto Notorio. This document can not be issued more than 3 months before the wedding otherwise it will expire.
You must bring several witnesses with you to the appointment. Some Consulates require only 2 witnesses per couple (not relatives) to witness the Atto, while others can require up to 4 per person to appear (a total of 8), so find out how many people must come with you. The witnesses that accompany you to the Italian Consulate don't necessarily have to be your best man and maid of honor; other people who know you can act as your witnesses at the Italian Consulate.
4. Get the birth certificates (and divorce decrees) translated before you go to the Italian Consulate. If you prefer, you can fax them to us for translation.
5. Go with the correct number of witnesses to the Italian Consulate in the US for your Atto Notorio. Bring the originals (with the Apostille) and the translations of your birth certificates (and divorce decrees) to this appointment. Make sure that the Consulate stamps the translations of your documents if the Consulate did not do the translations themselves.
6. Right after your appointment at the Italian Consulate, fax us copies of all of your documents. We will check everything and continue the paperwork on this end. Keep the originals and hand carry them when you come to Italy (don't check them at the airport).
7. IN ITALY: several days before your wedding (generally 3/4 working days prior), go with our local assistant to the US Consulate in to get the Nulla Osta (sometimes referred to as the sworn statement). Bring all of the originals of your documents and your passports with you. After the US Consulate visit, you will be accompanied with our assistant to the Prefettura, where a government official will authenticate your documents. Finally, our assistant there will take everything to the town hall where you will be married, so that they can finish the paperwork.
We will help you, since the procedure could change or be slightly different from one Consulate to another.



Please, take note that a woman who has been divorced less than 300 days from the proposed wedding date cannot have a civil ceremony but symbolic only.


If a religious ceremony is performed by a Roman Catholic priest, a separate civil ceremony is unnecessary but the priest must register the marriage with the Ufficiale di Stato Civile in order for it to be legal. Because of the special Italian requirements applicable to marriage performed by non-Roman Catholic clergymen, the latter usually insist on a prior civil ceremony before performing a religious ceremony in order to ensure the legality of the marriage.

Source: U.S. Consulate General Florence, Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci 38, 50123 Florence
Tel. (011)(39)(55) 239-8276; Fax. (011)(39)(55) 284-088.

lunedì 2 agosto 2010

LUNGARNO Special Weddings a JoySposi 15/16/17 Ottobre 2010 Firenze

Buona sera a tutti.
E' con grande piacere che vi segnalo la parteciapzione di LUNGARNO Special Weddings alla prossima edizione di JoySposi 2010 che si terrà alla Stazione Leopolda di Firenze dal 15 al 17 Ottobre 2010.
Oltre ad essere per noi un onore, la partecipazione alla manifestazione sarà l'occasione di conoscerci personalmente.
Potrete vedere e assaporare il gusto di un matrimonio realizzato da noi, potrete conoscerci e provare la differenza di un matrimonio organizzato e curato da un wedding planner in ogni suo aspetto.
Sarà per noi un grande onore poter conoscere tutti i futuri sposi che ci faranno visita e che avranno la voglia e la curiosità di sapere che sfaccettature hanno i matrimoni organizzati da noi...
Vi aspettiamo!
Buon lunedì e buon agosto a tutti!