Medieval Villages in Tuscany - Artimino (Carmignano)
On the eastern slopes of the Montalbano, towering over Arno valley, the medieval village of Artimino is a small part of the vast Etruscan settlement existing from the 7th to the 1st century BC, defended by massive walls, considerable traces of which still remain.
The earliest evidence of the medieval centre dates back to 998, when it was donated by Emperor Otto III to the bishop of Pistoia, under whose ecclesiastical jursdiction it would remain until present day.
From a political and military point of view, it was bitterly fought over by the Florentine Republic and the Commune of Pistoia. From 1329 onwards, Florence definitively took control of the village, that in grand-ducal age became the main area of the hunting preserve established by the Medici on the Montalbano and site of one of the last grand Medicean residences, standing on the opposite hill, where the acropolis was supposed to rise in Etruscan times.
The medieval centre is preserved almost intact with the concentric layout of the walled village, whose only access was large, barel vaulted gateway made up of big stone blocks, surmonted by a quadrangular embattled tower.
(Source: Bruno Bruchi e Alessandro Naldi, Medieval Villages in Tuscany.)
See also: http://turismo.comune.carmignano.po.it/
|Views of Artimino|
|View of a farm|
|San Leonardo Church|